Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Technology Entrepreneur’s Guidebook

This guidebook proved to have quite a few useful tidbits of information.  It gave some great insight on starting up a tech business and being a beginner entrepreneur.  Some of the more eye opening parts of it were how few high tech business end up in an IPO and how long it takes for those companies to succeed.  I suppose I still had the idea that you can get big over night (maybe remnants of the dot-com boom) and that if you had a good idea you could get the business going and succeed.

I am not too sure I agree with the guidebook in some aspects, like the longevity thing.  Of course, I see the benefit of having a business model that holds up long term but I think I could argue that in today's technology market it is not a bad idea to have a "one and done" type product.  A quick example would be an app, spend like 2-5 years doing apps and by that time it could become the case that apps are like websites.  super easy to create and there are so many options for templates that anyone could do it and make it look relatively unique.

Since we cannot predict the market (as much as we think we can)  I don't think it is fair to say that a tech business can have a long term plan that doesn't need to adapt and change over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment